Explore Oregon Wines: Wineries | Varietals | AVAs | Cellar 503 Selections

William Marie Wines

William Marie Wines 2017 Cabernet Sauvignon

A great meal deserves a great wine

Ed Lefferts is passionate about two things – his wife and wine.

Ed’s always been in the restaurant business, starting as a dishwasher at age 14. He’s never really known what he would do with himself but head to a restaurant five nights a week. As he moved up, he ran into diners that would order $500 bottles of wine – and to Ed, it always seemed like it was Cabernet Sauvignon. So, he started learning about wine and buying as much Cabernet as he could afford.

Then came Monique. They met, naturally, in a restaurant. By the end of that first shift in Scottsdale, Arizona, he knew she was the one. A few years later, they decided together that they’d head to Portland – mostly to get closer to the vines.

Rather than move up the management track, Ed kept his job as a server; spending his free time learning to make wine. Today, they’ve both still got those restaurant gigs, but William Marie Wines – named for his and her middle names – is winning fans who know a good wine when they taste one.

(Oh, and that pig corkscrew on the label? That’s all Ed could afford to give Monique for their anniversary way back when.)

William Marie Wines

Cellar 503 Tasting Notes

William Marie Wines, Portland, Oregon
2017 Cabernet Sauvignon

Cabernet is the world’s most popular red wine grape! It is a natural cross between Cabernet Franc and Sauvignon Blanc, originating in Bordeaux, France. Cabernet Sauvignon is loved for its high concentration and age worthiness.

The 2017 William Marie Wines Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon is a nine-barrel lot of 100% Cabernet blended from two vineyard sources. 60% of the grapes came from Firethorn Vineyard in Echo, Oregon, while the remaining 40% grew just across the Columbia River Gorge at Double Canyon Vineyard within the Horse Heaven Hills AVA. All aged in French Oak, 20% new for 22 months.

This is a big, bold, full-bodied red wine with lots of dark cherry, black currant flavors, and notes of baking spice and cedar. It naturally goes well with grilled meats and red sauce pasta dishes.

A Cellar 503 selection in January 2021, Winter Warmers Columbia Valley | Cabernet Sauvignon